Re: request for hack: readline fixes

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: request for hack: readline fixes
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:48:09 +0200

On Tue, Jun 01 2010, Andy Wingo wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> It would be really great if someone could get to the bottom of our
> readline support and fix a couple things.
>
>  * Tab-completion: Works great for functions, not so much for arguments?
>
>    If at the repl you type `(string-' and press tab, you get a list of
>    symbols bound in the current module that start with string-. Of
>    course it would be nice to restrict these to procedures, but hey. But
>    if you type `(string-ref fo' and press TAB, you get nothing, not even
>    if `foo' is bound. Bummer, no? It's been this way for at least 10
>    years but I know that readline can do the right thing. Please fix?

I think the attached 1-character patch fixes argument completion.
Offering only callable symbols when completing on the first position is
something i hadn't thought of for geiser: i'm probably implementing it
there first and will try to backport the implementation to guile.

>  * History: Expression-oriented, please!
>
>    It would be great if going back in the history cycled through entire
>    expressions, not line-by-line. Again I know that readline can do
>    this. Please fix? :)

I'll try to find the time for that too. In the meantime, just use
geiser's REPL :)

Cheers,
jao
--
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.
That's the problem, they need to read them. -- Don Knuth