Re: %module-public-interface

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: %module-public-interface
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:37:41 +0200

Hi Ian,

Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:

> On 30/03/10 22:52, Ludovic � wrote:

>> Andy Wingo<address@hidden>  writes:

>>> Linking to the evil empire:
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=%25module-public-interface&sbtn=Search
>>> http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=%25module-public-interface+lang%3Ac%2B%2B&sbtn=Search
>>
>> Lilypond does:

>>        mod = scm_call_0 (maker);
>>        scm_module_define (mod, ly_symbol2scm ("%module-public-interface"),
>>                           mod);
>>
>> Solution: do something like:

>> #ifdef HAVE_SCM_SET_MODULE_PUBLIC_INTERFACE_X
>>    scm_set_module_public_interface_x (mod, mod);
>> #else
>>    scm_module_define (mod, ly_symbol2scm ("%module-public-interface"),
>>                       mod);
>> #endif
>>
>> (We just need to add that function.)
>>

>> TeXmacs does:
> <snip>
>>
>> Actually the trick wouldn’t work in cases where the
>> ‘%module-public-interface’ binding is mutated, as with Lilypond.
>>
>> Given this and the above examples, I’d suggest dropping that binding
>> completely and sending patches to the Lilypond/TeXmacs people.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> If you do add scm_set_module_public_interface_x, could you back-port
> it to Guile V1.8.6 and V1.8.7?

We could back-port it to the 1.8 series, but not to the already-released
1.8.7 and 1.8.6.  We’d have to make a 1.8.8 release, but I’m not sure
that would really help anyway since that would force Lilypond users to
switch to that version.

> Those are the lowest versions of Guile the upcoming stable release of
> Lilypond will support.

How about doing #ifdef HAVE_SCM_SET_MODULE_PUBLIC_INTERFACE_X in your
code?

We still have to agree on the change and actually implement it, the
latter being easy. ;-)  When is the new Lilypond release due?

Thanks,
Ludo’.