Re: GSOC applications coming up

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: GSOC applications coming up
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:48:58 +0200

Heya,

On Mon 29 Mar 2010 00:17, No Itisnt <address@hidden> writes:

> At the moment I'm tinkering with the arithmetic parser I posted to
> guile-user, and trying to turn it into a parser generator.

Cool!

> I expressed some interest in doing GSOC with Guile a little earlier
> and if y'all are willing to back me up, I really should write a
> proposal and submit it (I guess I'd just submit it to the GNU Project,
> assuming you approve?)

Sure, that would be fantastic.

> I'm still plenty open to suggestions; I'm particularly interested in
> parsing and compilation, but mostly I just want to write some Scheme.

How about that Lua implementation you proposed? I don't think there's
enough left on the Javascript compiler for it to be a summer project,
but poking around in that code could be instructive to see how it all
breaks down between the parser/compiler and the GOOPS-based runtime.

> What exactly needs to be finished in the Javascript compiler?

The standard library, mainly. I left it in a poor state, unfortunately,
without test cases, and without a TODO list; I am a bad person :P

> Let me know what you think.

I think it's going to be a lovely summer :) Speaking from experience,
writing compilers and runtimes is really, really educational, and
often the results are practically useful. It would be great to be able
to extend Emacs in Lua.

Cheers,

Andy
--