Re: Plan for the next release

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Plan for the next release
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:54:04 +0100

Howdy,

On Sun 14 Feb 2010 15:45, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Regarding the release... I have no thoughts. Perhaps I should prepare
>> the NEWS, and we get a release out the door this week, then the next one
>> will have catch/throw nicely integrated, and at that point I'll be
>> mostly happy for 2.0. Thoughts?
>
> I think the main focus for the two months preceding 2.0 should be:
>
>   0. Licensing and copyright (‘pmatch’, etc.). [*]
>
>   1. Portability fixes.
>
>   2. Backward-compatibility fixes.
>
>   3. Documented anything new and undocumented.
>
>   4. Bug hunting.

Agreed. Let me add: full parallel-installability (currently our support
is only partial), so that a 2.2 can come out without affecting 2.0
installations. (e.g. putting libguile.h in a versioned subdir, and have
pkg-config add -I$includedir/guile-2.0/ to the CFLAGS)

> If you think catch/throw on delimited continuations may be ready in a
> couple of weeks, and that it’s the last big feature you have in mind for
> 2.0, then that’s fine with me.  :-)  Otherwise, I’d be in favor of
> delaying 2.0 as long as needed so we can work on the above points.

OK. I think I can get it in, yes.

> Note that I’m in favor of shorter release cycles, which means 2.2
> shouldn’t be decades away from 2.0.  We could even create a 2.2 branch
> one of these days for things we want to play with but that won’t be
> ready for prime time until some time.

This sounds great to me.

Cheers,

Andy