Re: A big hole where the evaluator used to be...

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: A big hole where the evaluator used to be...
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:18:31 +0100

On Fri 11 Dec 2009 17:50, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thanks! I finally had time to write up some of this here:
>>

>> http://wingolog.org/archives/2009/12/09/in-which-our-protagonist-forgoes-modesty
>
> Nice.  But I didn't understand where you said that all the unit tests go
> through the evaluator.  Apart from those that use eval explicitly, don't
> they all just get compiled and VM'd?

They don't, actually. They are all run with the evaluator. See
609edba7eaa2bb30df90a09541a48d97ab4a3bf8. We should probably enable it
again now.

>> Another side of this is compile-time speed; psyntax-pp.scm takes forever
>> to compile now, like 4 or 8 minutes.
>
> And much longer than that (~30 mins?) on my ancient P3 laptop!  (But
> it's still worth it!)

Uf, 30 minutes. Way too long, eh. I agree it's worth it but that we need
to profile things and see what improvements we can get. Also, we could
focus on compiler improvements that would help the evaluator -- computed
goto might be a good one, so that our memoized-expression-case could
compile to something that looks more like the compilation of `case'.

Peace,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/