Re: alpha -> beta -> 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: alpha -> beta -> 2.0
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:29:35 +0100

Hi,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we said at some point that we'd shoot for Guile 2.0 in December.
> While it's clear that we're not ready for stability quite yet, things
> are falling into place. So why don't we do this: keep on doing the
> monthly alpha release thing now and in January, release a beta in
> February, and then 2.0 in March.

Sounds good to me.

Perhaps it’s time to look at the milestones we had agreed on this
summer [0], see where we are, and whether there are additional ‘features’
we’d like to get in.

  [0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/9282

My impression is that one of the main items on this list is the
integration of (part of) Guile-Lib.  I’d also like to have the inliner
by 2.0.  What do you think?

Then there’s a lot of testing, bug fixing, porting, improvement of the
tools (debugger, profiler, code coverage), etc.

> The meaning of "beta" versus "alpha" is just marketing, to try to
> prepare some buzz for 2.0.

Indeed.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.