Re: more compilation failures: -DSCM_DEBUG_TYPING_STRICTNESS=2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: more compilation failures: -DSCM_DEBUG_TYPING_STRICTNESS=2
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:09:51 +0100

Hi,

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, I wouldn't consider any of those terribly "exotic", unless
> you're using one of the early Alphas that didn't support byte-access
> operations.

And there’s also SPARC, which doesn’t support unaligned accessed (Linux
reifies them as SIGBUS, as on Alpha IIRC.)

> Windows testing would be kind of important, too.  Have access to any
> embedded systems?

Neil regularly tests on MinGW:
http://autobuild.josefsson.org/guile/#GNU%20Guile-i586-pc-mingw32msvc .

[...]

> Testing Guile on a multiprocessor system using weak
> memory ordering would be interesting; I suspect, though, that it would
> simply not work reliably.

Hmm, I dunno, but there’s already much to be dealt with on multicore
x86(_64) IMO.

[...]

> I wouldn't try to fix it for the Cray without someone out
> there actively interested in using that version, but I don't want to
> turn a blind eye to problems I'm confident would come up for  people
> in reasonable (if unusual) C environments.

Do you have specific platforms in mind?  This Cray/Unicos pointer
representation really seems surreal to me, so I’d be glad to hear of
systems with similar singularities.

Thanks,
Ludo’.