Re: BDW-GC branch updated

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: BDW-GC branch updated
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:19:04 +0200

> Hello!
>
> I merged `master' in the `boehm-demers-weiser-gc' branch yesterday,
> which hadn't been done since before 1.9.0 (no, you won't see the 4 MiB+
> commit message on `guile-commits'...).
>
> So now is a good time to test it and report back!  It requires libgc 7.1
> or later, which isn't packaged in Debian, although it was released in
> May 2008.

It's in experimental since recently; I assume its maintainer will upload
to unstable soonish.

> I'll post updated comparative benchmarks hopefully in the next few days.

Will going from a precise GC to BDW-GC not have drawbacks? IIRC, the PLT
people went in the opposite direction. A quick google turned up this:

http://www.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2006-June/013840.html

I wonder if the reasons for switching to a precise GC listed in there
will also apply to Guile.

Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>