Re: Publishing the manual...

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Publishing the manual...
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:43:58 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Consider adding a section on GOOPS, from the GOOPS manual and tutorial.
> Folding that into the Guile manual would be great.

Yes, absolutely, I already had that in mind.  There's no case for
GOOPS to be separated out any more, and it's a fun bit of the
technology.

I'll assume this is on my todo list... but if anyone else fancies
handling it (and already has copyright assignment on file, or is happy
to organize that), let me know.

> We need to document syntax-rules and syntax-case, and the concept of
> hygiene wrt macros and modules.

Agreed.  I think we should consider the option of just referencing
coverage of these ideas elsewhere, but

- we will still need at least a statement of what Guile supports

- these ideas are tricky, and it can help (in some global sense) for
  us to provide another exposition of them, even if they are
  technically already covered elsewhere

- in particular, the combination of hygiene with modules does not seem
  to be well covered anywhere yet, even in R6RS.  (Although I haven't
  looked really extensively, e.g. in the other Scheme implementations'
  docs.)

> We should document the new REPL.

Agreed there too.  There is a section on the pre-VM REPL, so maybe it
would make sense to extend that.

Would you be interested in covering either of these areas?

> Anyway, just some scattered evening thoughts. Good luck, and let me
> know if I can help in any specific way!

Well, as above :-) and also any thoughts on the overall
organisation...

Regards,
        Neil