Re: character and string escapes

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: character and string escapes
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 22:34:20 +0000

Hello!

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why do strings use hex for unnamed control characters while
>> characters use octal?
>
> I don't know.  Ludo might know more, from his work on the reader.

I don't know either, I guess it's "always" been this way.  The "String
Read Syntax" node existed before 2004.

>> Also, r6rs likes hex characters.  Is that something that might be
>> added to Guile?
>
> Would that be the same as the \x... format that Guile uses in string
> output?  I don't see why not, if so.

Same for me, provided things are backward compatible.

Also, many Scheme implementations support `\XYZ' where XYZ is an octal
number (see http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.scheme.snow/153), so it
might be a good idea to follow them here.

Thanks,
Ludo'.