Re: Guile release planning

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Guile release planning
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:49:51 +0100

Hi,

On Mon 17 Nov 2008 00:33, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> And I assume the actually loaded libguile was version 1.8.5?  So there
>> should have been something in the library saying that it needed 1.8.3,
>> which would have caused the link to fail.  Does the libtool scheme
>> cover this; I'm afraid I just don't know.
>
> Yes it does (at the level of "supported interface numbers", not at the
> level of version numbers, though)

Beating a dead horse, 1.8.5 should be compatible with 1.8.3, via
whatever mechanism. (The actual problem in this case was elsewhere.)

I am skeptical of pushing significant changes into stable branches. I
really don't want to be in the situation in which 1.8.4 works for
someone, but 1.8.7 does not. You might be right, Neil, about that path,
but it does not give me warm fuzzy feelings.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/