Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:57:37 +0000

2008/11/8 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
> Hello Guilers!
>
> Below are some of the points (in no particular order) that IMO can make
> it worthwhile to use the Boehm-Demers-Weiser GC [0] in Guile instead of
> Guile's historical GC, from an engineering viewpoint.

This all sounds pretty compelling to me.  From my point of view, you
and Han-Wen have the most knowledge of this area, and Han-Wen has one
of the most demanding applications - so if you and Han-Wen are happy
to go ahead, I'm happy too.

Just in case some really hard problem emerges, is it possible to
organize the development so that we could retain the option for a
while - say, a few months - to switch back?

Finally, I think we now really need a plan for how we are planning to
handle Guile releases over the next year or so.  I've been meaning to
write about this for a while... will do so in a new thread.

Regards,
      Neil