Re: RFD: add an interface scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: RFD: add an interface scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:58:42 -0700

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>         SCM  expr  = scm_makfrom0str( pzExpr );
>
> That's deprecated as of 1.8, use `scm_from_locale_string ()'.

This is used iff Guile antedates 1.6.  I guess that can be junked now?

>>         scm_t_port* pt;
>
> I wouldn't recommend using this structure as it's in a semi-internal,
> undocumented state.  :-)

This is used iff Guile antedates 1.8.  To my knowledge, there is no
other way to set the line number, prior to 1.8.

> Anyway, why not just use `scm_c_eval_string ()'?  It'd be really safer
> than "rolling your own".

Because the strings are extracted from large text files and it is important
that the error message reveal the correct file and line number.  It is
precisely because of the issues with cruft like using internal Guile
structures that I'd be so extremely happy to (finally) see a a proper export of:
  scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line(SCM string, SCM file, SCM line)
Then for GUILE_VERSION >= 109000 I could just #define my variation
to the Proper Call.  :)

Thank you!  Regards, Bruce