Re: stack overflow

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: stack overflow
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:26:23 +0100

2008/2/14, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
>  We must also change `RETURN' to do "scm_i_eval_stack_depth--".
>
>  Hopefully it's not too unreasonable performance-wise.
>
>  What do you think?

I think you should measure the effect on performance.  Even if the hit
isn't dramatic, remember that many a little makes a mickle...

Speaking as a user, I would prefer a solution where the evaluator
measures stack size the same way as currently (i.e. without the need
to do extra work at every return).  It is possible to estimate the
average sizes of evaluator stack frames during startup and use this as
a conversion factor in the debug-options interface (scm_debug_opts) so
that the user setting is approximately consistent between platforms.