Re: guile 1.8.3 fails to build on sparc

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile 1.8.3 fails to build on sparc
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:53:13 +0100

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I don't have access to sparc machine to probe into this problem. Can someone
>> look at
>> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=guile-1.8;ver=1.8.3%2B1-1;arch=sparc;stamp=1195798674
>> and see why guile-1.8-libs fails to build on a sparc machine?
>
> Sorry this response is so delayed.  Seems to be a GC issue:
>
> FAIL: gc.test: gc: Unused modules are removed

This indeed looks like a reference to a single module is kept somewhere,
e.g., in an area of the stack that was not overwritten by subsequent
calls, leading to the wrong object count.

Adding a function call right before the first `(gc)' sometimes fixes the
problem, sometimes not.  The attached snippet reliably fixes the problem
on my GNU/Linux sparc64 box, though.

Rob: Would it be possible for you to try out this patch on one of the
Debian SPARC machines?

Thanks in advance,
Ludovic.