Re: Switching to Git?

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: Switching to Git?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:17:47 -0400

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Of course, nothing's black and white and Git has some weaknesses, too.
Most notably, its UI is a bit rough and at least not to everyone's taste
(which can be worked around by using companion tools such as Cogito
[3]).

Opinions?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://git.or.cz/
[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/guile.git
[2] http://git.sv.gnu.org/
[3] http://git.or.cz/cogito/
[4] http://repo.or.cz/w/git2cl.git/

cogito is dead. And on top of that, cogito would need a good bit of hacking to really make it portable anyway.

Another project I'm on has switched to git from cvs and I'm bringing up the rear in terms of trying to learn the tool enough to use it without making a mess of things. My biggest complaint, aside from having to learn another tool, is that git is not really a lightweight tool for some systems. For example, if you're on solaris you can get cvs from the software supplement cd (or whatever that cd is called) and you're ready to go. With git I think you're still building from source and you need perl, python, tcl/tk, expat, and curl. On top of that, git uses a homebrew build systems that just doesn't work out of the box on all systems. Luckily I was able to install git via netbsd's pkgsrc on my solaris box but without pkgsrc it would have been moderately painful.

I still haven't used git enough to form an opinion on the user side.

-Dan