Re: SLIB

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: SLIB
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:24:46 +0200

2007/8/16, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden>:
> "Mikael Djurfeldt" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > slib.scm makes sure that each time
> > some module requires new slib code, it will be loaded into the module
> > (ice-9 slib) and exported from there.  I'm not at all sure that
> > guile.init does that,
>
> I suspect it doesn't.  It'd be cute if going through (ice-9 slib) worked
> with the module system so you could get slib in some modules and not
> others.

If I understand you correctly, I'd say that it currently does work
like that.  The idea is that slib lives in (ice-9 slib) and that all
public functions are exported from there to all who uses (ice-9 slib).

>  In particular it'd help for the various funcs in slib which
> clash with guile core bits, like the different flavour of `system', and
> the separate `provided?' feature list which Greg mentioned.

I haven't read what Greg has written about this, but, yes, probably
some aspects of slib needs to be updated.

>  But I think it depends what Aubrey want to do.

Yes, ideally, you should coordinate this with Aubrey.  Why not explain
the situation for him?  I think the simplest solution would be to use
the main idea of (ice-9 slib) explained above.  Maybe Aubrey could
strip down guile.init a bit so that ice-9/slib.scm could load
guil.init and add the Guile module system specific things to make

>  For now I think guile.init is only
> really setup to be loaded into the top-level environment to transmute it
> into an slib environment.

I disagree.  Just loading guile.init in its current form simply does
not work together with the Guile module system.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't become obvious until one has used it enough.