Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-comp

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen
Subject: Re: Experience with guile + Boehm GC in SND (Re: New versions of rt-compiler.scm, rt-examples.scm and rt.tex
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:11:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Actually, I haven't used guile for other interactive stuff than
snd. And snd is huge. It could be that the boehm gc works a lot lot
better for really large programs than guile's gc. I'll try to run the
gc benchmark program inside snd (with lots of scheme files loaded), it
might give some interesting results.

Cool, let us know how it goes.

I used the gc benchmark program posted by Han-Wen:

libgc (v6.8) was compiled with the --enable-threads=posix only.

For normal guile I used 1.8.1, default gentoo build. (-O2)
For GC guile, I built from your tree. (also -O2)

Snd is snd-ls V0.9.7.12.

My machine is an XP2800, single processor.

Running the benchmark program directly in guile gives no difference. Both spent about 50 seconds running the test.

Inside snd is another matter:

Guile gc  96mb  176mb    54s.
Boehm gc  99mb  107mb   118s.

[1] Memory before running test reported by top.
[2] Memory after running test reported by top
[3] Time to run test in seconds.

All tests performed twice to ensure nothing special happened in one of them. The numbers here are from last test, and are about the same as from the run.