On-line manual

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: On-line manual
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:22:40 +0200

Hi,

As a followup to a recent discussion on `guile-user', I made the manual
for 1.8.1 available from the web in a way that is similar to what other
GNU projects do:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/

I also updated http://www.gnu.org/manual/ so that it points to this
address (the update has not propagated yet).

The way to do it is documented here:

  http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Invoking-gendocs_002esh

However, the current doc page [0] has more information (manual for 1.6
and for GOOPS, tutorial, book) so we need to find a way to "merge" both
pages.  For GOOPS, I think we could add an entry in `/manual' and have
that point to `/software/guile/manual/goops'.  For the other docs, we
could add pointers in http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/ and have
that point to subdirectories.  Finally, the Guile web site could refer
to that page as well, rather than having a separate `docs.html' page.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html