Re: Text collation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Text collation
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:39:55 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>>  @c Local Variables:
>>  @c TeX-master: "guile.texi"
>> address@hidden ispell-local-dictionary: "american"
>
> Hmmm :-)  (I'm British.)  I guess Guile is an FSF project, and the FSF
> is US, though, so OK.

:-)

OTOH, Guile does not target only US users---if it were, we wouldn't be
talking about i18n in the first place.  ;-)

>> -void
>> -scm_init_i18n ()
>> +void
>> +scm_init_gettext ()
>>  {
>> +  /* When gettext support was first added (in 1.8.0), it provided feature
>> +     `i18n'.  We keep this as is although the name is a bit misleading
>> +     now.  */
>>    scm_add_feature ("i18n");
>
> OK, but how about (i) adding a "gettext" feature too, (ii) adding a
> NEWS item to say that the "i18n" feature is deprecated and will be
> removed in a future release, and that people should check "gettext"
> instead.

I was considering the inclusion of this patch in 1.8.  Thus, I initially
thought that within the 1.8 branch we shouldn't change feature names
_at all_, so we would keep using `i18n' for Gettext, and `ice-9-i18n'
for the other.

Now, I agree that we should change those names in HEAD.  But should we
also change them eventually in, say, 1.8.3?

>> +(dynamic-call "scm_init_i18n"
>> +              (dynamic-link "libguile-i18n-v0"))
>
> You should use (load-extension ...) here instead.  Then if someone
> wants to link the i18n lib statically, they can.

Ok, I'll do it.

Thanks,
Ludovic.