Re: Plan for guile-debugging integration

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Plan for guile-debugging integration
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:47:14 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we should we wait until there's a big enough mass of Guile
> stuff out there that the current organization becomes a problem.  When
> we have a real problem to solve, we'll probably have a better idea
> about the solution.

Well, there is no real problem to solve, just the fact that `ice-9' is a
silly name.  :-)

Plus the fact that it contains a zillion of unrelated modules, all at
the same level.  I'd be more in favor of a three-level hierarchy which
would typically be something like `(PACKAGE SUB-SYSTEM FEATURE)'.  So,
for Guile, everything would be under `system':

  system
    debugging
    reader     <-- I use that for `guile-reader'
    il
    vm

Removing `ice-9' may not be feasible (for compatibility reasons).
However, using a cleaner name space for *new* modules (like yours) looks
appealing.

Unless people really aren't bothered at all.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.