Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:24:22 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I believe we would never have sufficient manpower to compete with it
>> (and it seems that most other language runtime implementors arrived to
>> the same conclusion).
>
>Yet, as long as the current GC is more efficient (as measured by
>performance tests), there is no reason to switch, right?

There is a reason.

It is actually quite tricky to get the machinery of SMOB mark
functions to work exactly right in all cases. I have many late-night
debugging sessions that can attest to this. BGC will make it easier to
write GUILE extensions, because memory managements will be less of a
headache:

 - no need for mark() functions

 - no need for scm_remember_upto_here() calls

 - no more tricky interactions between half-finished SMOBs and GC mark
functions

 - no need for scm_gc_protect_object()