Re: Emacs-like file buffers

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Emacs-like file buffers
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 12:02:52 -0700

"Jason Meade" <address@hidden> writes:

> Under the "Cool Ideas" section of the Guile website, Emacs-like
> buffers are mentioned. I'm thinking this would be a really useful
> library, even independent of Guile. Once such a library is built,
> then extending it into guile shouldn't be too much extra effort.
>
> Is anyone actively pursuing this? If so, I'd be interested in
> assisting. If not, then I plan to give a shot at this independently.
> :)

If there's still a chance that Guile might eventually be used by
Emacs, then it would probably make sense to consider both Emacs
buffers and Emacs regular expressions when trying to decide what to
do, and even if there isn't a chance, Emacs is still a significant
precedent.

Also, you might want to look at Thien-Thi Nguyen's ttn-pers-scheme to
see if "Editing Buffers" are relevant.  I don't know enough to comment
either way.

> * Full regular expression support (this touches upon another
>   wish-list item)

I would really like to see Guile provide a fixed regular expression
format, one that doesn't vary depending on what the build platform has
available.  Without that, you cannot write scripts that are portable,
at least not with respect to regular expressions.

Relevant questions:

  - How is the addition of support for Unicode likely to affect any
    regular expression or buffer work?

  - What well-known form of regular expressions should be chosen -
    POSIX, Emacs, Perl?

  - Is it acceptable to add an external dependency for regular
    expression suppport, or does the implementation need to be in
    Guile's source tree?  Note that the latter choice doesn't
    necessarily rule out using an existing library if, for example,
    the author of the library is willing to allow the inclusion of the
    code in Guile.

Hope this helps.
--
Rob Browning