Re: Preparing for a 1.6.8 release.

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: Preparing for a 1.6.8 release.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:22:40 -0700 (PDT)

> So what code should be used on HP-UX?  Should the code in gc_os_dep.c
> that's currently guarded by IA64 be enabled or not, and should gc.c
> and continuations.c be doing something different for HP-UX, or nothing
> at all?

Well, I am not sure.  There seem to be two ways to attack this, create
some HP-UX specific code for continuations.c and gc.c, which would be to
replace the access of ucontext_t with calls and then set IA64 in
gc_os_dep.c and do more HP-UX specific stuff in that file.  Or bail out
of the continuations.c and gc.c changes (use the default case) and just
use more generic code.  I am not sure what the right way to go is.

I don't have the HP-UX specific code for continuations.c and gc.c at
hand, my first thought was to just skip that code and use the generic C
code.  That is why I was wondering if we wanted to punt on 1.6.8.  And,
to add one more complication, the accessor functions that I would use to
replace the IA64 Linux code are not in libc, but in a library called
libuca.so so that library would need to be linked in with guile.  I
don't know if that complicates things or not.

I am not sure exactly what schedule 1.6.8 is on but I will be down from
tomorrow afternoon until Monday because of an office move over the
weekend.

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden