Re: About cleaning up the thread stuff

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: About cleaning up the thread stuff
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:03:29 +0100

Julian Graham <address@hidden> writes:

> I like that, but only because I could never figure out how to use
> dynamic roots.  ;)

(I have decided to leave them in for a while... :-)

> So what will happen if you build Guile without the threading stuff?
> Are the thread procedures (e.g., 'make-thread',
> 'call-with-new-thread', etc.) simply not made visible?

No, all functions will be there, but they wont do much.  I.e., you can
create mutexes and lock them, but you can't create new threads.

> When you say that any thread may enter guile-mode, do you mean that
> the prohibition against more than one thread of C code making calls to
> Guile's API is being lifted?

Yes, this restriction has been lifted already.  The remaining
restriction is that only threads created by Guile itself are allowed
to call Guile.  I hope to remove that restriction as well.  Also, I
hope to make thigns so that any thread can initialize Guile.

> Also, let me know if you'd like me to tweak that thread-cancellation
> patch I sent in a few months ago to reflect the changes you're talking
> about.  (Or maybe you'd prefer to write it from scratch yourself?)

I'll come back to you about this.  Is your patch finished?