Re: Shared arrays

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Shared arrays
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:15:43 +0200

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> Or, perhaps even simpler, represent uniform vectors as 1D arrays.

Yes, we could do that.  The downside to this is that the interface for
accessing these vectors from C becomes much more complicated since the
elements of the vector are not necessarily contiguous in memory.

Right now, I would be happy with just stating clearly that 1-d shared
arrays are not vectors, full stop.  (Of course, 1-d _non_-shared
arrays _are_ vectors.)

But now might be the right time to go for the clean solution, now that
the new interface is being defined... hmm.

I will first clean up the functionality that we have now, and then
worry about new functionality.

Related to this: should vector-set! etc work with uniform vectors?
With strings?