Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:36:54 +0200

[ Bruno, the gettext patch does not fit entirely smoothly.  I have
  CCed you on the discussion, hopefully you can help.
]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Marius Vollmer writes:
>
>> running ./autogen.sh now runs gettextize and that causes some
>> 'useless' things to happen, like the creation of po/ and the inclusion
>> of po/Makefile.in in _all_ AC_CONFIG_FILES statements in configure.in.
>
>>   Makefile.am:26: AM_GNU_GETTEXT used but `po' not in SUBDIRS
>
> None of this happens here, what version of automake do you use?

I have just upgraded to 1.9, with identical results.

>> I guess all this happens for the benefit of programs that want to
>> internationalize/localize themselves.  Right?
>
> I have no clues whatsoever about what the developers of auto* have in
> mind.  You'll have to ask Bruno about the AM_GNU_GETTEXT/libintl stuff.
> What I had initially, was
>
>     dnl i18n tests
>     AC_CHECK_HEADERS([libintl.h])
>     AC_CHECK_FUNCS(gettext)
>     if test $ac_cv_func_gettext = no; then
>        AC_CHECK_LIB(intl, gettext)
>     fi
>     AC_CHECK_FUNCS([bindtextdomain textdomain])
>
> maybe something like that is better?

Bruno, what is your view?

>> Simply wrapping gettext and friends turns out to have a much larger
>> effect than I thought.  I fully expect that there are people out there
>> without gettext and Guile will not build for them.  What then?
>
> That's why I was a bit reluctant about writing a patch for Guile,
> instead of only for gettext, which was all I needed.  Anyway, this is
> for the better, and Guile should build without gettext and without
> libintl, of course.  A problem is that I don't have a development
> machine without these, so I couldn't test.

I have a hard time convincing myself now that gettext support should
be in the core, when I have, for example, not accepted SCTP.  Hmm.