Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release

From: Michael Tuexen
Subject: Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:27:02 +0200

Marius,

see my comments below.

Best regards
Michael

On Aug 13, 2004, at 3:40 PM, Marius Vollmer wrote:

Michael Tuexen <address@hidden> writes:

Please let me know if it is possible to include these changes in
the 1.6.5 release.

Hi Michael,

we don't want to include this in Guile 1.6.5.  The reason is that the
SCTP functions are not 'core' functionality and they can take not
advantage of being in the core.  Also, it would add another dependency
to Guile (on libsctp).

OK, that is your decision.
As long as SCTP needs an external library and is not supported
directly by libc, we think it is better to not include it in
guile-core.
Hmm. This might be a bit special. The functions socket, send, recv
and so on are simply extended to support SCTP. New functions will
not become part of libc. All SCTP implementations (well, the
Linux Kernel implementation, the BSD kernel implementation and
the Solaris implementation) provide the sctp_* functions in a
libsctp library. This is similar to Solaris, for example, where
you need to link against a socket library to use socket functions.
So they is also not part of libc. But, yes, networking is not core
functionality, it is only needed by some, not by all, programs.

I have turned your patch into a complete package that installs
libguile-net-sctp.so and the module (net sctp), you just need to fill
in the README, etc.  Scheme code can access the new module with

    (use-modules (net sctp))

Unfortunately, I couldn't test it since I don't seem to have sctp
support on my box.
If you have a recent 2.6 kernel, there should be sctp... possibly
as a module.

I'll test the module and let you know if it works. Are these modules
separately distributed or as part of guile 1.6.5?

Since I'm using guile as a framework for SCTP and SIGTRAN test tools
I need some way of distributing the SCTP enhanced version of guile.
So if it is included it is the simplest way for me, I can just say
'install guile 1.6.5'. If it is distributed separately, I can just
say 'install guile 1.6.5 and install a module from ...'. Both ways
are fine with me. I just do not want to distribute a modified version
of guile on my own...

Here:

    http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~mvo/guile-sctp-0.0.tar.gz

Thank you for your effort, I will let you know if it works.