Re: Patch for ice-9/format.scm (removes arbitrary ~{...~} iteration limi

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: Patch for ice-9/format.scm (removes arbitrary ~{...~} iteration limit)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:04:28 +0200

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> Matthias Koeppe <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Kevin, could you commit the patch to CVS then?  I think this should
>> go into HEAD and the stable branch.
>
> Done.  Thanks.

Thanks.

>> +  (pass-if "format ~F (format-out-substr) maintains the column correctly"
>> +       (= (string-length (format "address@hidden" 1)) 20)))
>
> Marius has applied this to the head previously.  You can argue for it
> in the 1.6 if it addresses some bug or misfeature.

It did address a bug, but my patch to fix it is already in CVS.  So no
need to fix it in the stable branch.  (There is little point in having
a "stable" and a HEAD test suite, anyway.)

>> +  (pass-if "format ~{ has no arbitrary iteration limit"
>> +       (= (string-length (format "~{~a~}" (make-list 200 #\b))) 200)))
>
> Tests exercising the other three iteration forms (~{ modifiers) would
> be nice, since the code for those is separate.

All the tests for FORMAT that I have contributed illustrate a bug that
I found.  Of course a whole test suite for FORMAT would be nice, but I
don't have time to work on it.

--
Matthias Koeppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe