Re: crypt mutex

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: crypt mutex
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:51:57 +1000

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, that is what I meant.  But, if making a function be reentrant
> takes a mutex then we should not hesitate to use one.

Speaking of mutexes, the reason I haven't checked in what I posted is
that I'm wondering if crypt should have its own private mutex.

A mutex for every function seems a bit wasteful, even if it would give
maximum parallelism.  I'm thinking crypt is cpu-only and not often
run, so might as well share a single global mutex.

Incidentally, crypt_r measures significantly slower (about 5x) than
crypt, presumably because it does various initializations, so I'm
thinking not to use that.