Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp
Date: 10 Feb 2004 19:27:11 +0000

    Marius> What about having 'elisp-strings' instead escaped-parens?
    Marius> Escaped-parens seems very, very specific to me but still its only
use
    Marius> is to allow the reading of elisp strings.

OK, I'll make this change.

    Marius> In the long run, I think we should have a configurable reader, much
    Marius> like Common Lisp specifies it.

Can you give a reference?

    >> Because it is declared with SCM_API, I've taken care, and introduced a
    >> slight extra complexity, to preserve the interface of scm_lreadparen.
    >> Is this really necessary?

    Marius> It is a good thing to do, but i this case, not strictly necessary,
I'd
    Marius> say.  You could also have renamed scm_lreadparen to scm_i_lreadparen
    Marius> (or made it static, maybe) and thus removed it from the public
    Marius> interface of libguile.

So ...

(1) In this case, should I simplify my change by:

    - eliminating scm_lreadparen (as it is now)

    - renaming scm_lreadparen1 to scm_lreadparen

    - making scm_lreadparen static?

(2) In general, how do users know what in the C API we are trying to
    preserve?  (I think the answer should be "whatever is documented
    in the manual", but currently that probably doesn't cover enough.)

Thanks,
        Neil