Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp
Date: 27 Jan 2004 00:44:19 -0600

BTW, the old \ behavior *is* documented in the manual, see Info node
`(guile)Backslash Escapes'.

    Unrecognized escape sequences are ignored: if the characters `\*'
    appear in a string, they will be translated to the single
    character `*'.

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> That would avoid the need to edit the Emacs sources, though it's a bit
> ugly.  I guess the Right Way would be to fix Emacs so it doesn't get
> confused by parentheses inside strings.

See Info node `(emacs)Left Margin Paren'.

    In the earliest days, the original Emacs found defuns by moving
    upward a level of parentheses or braces until there were no more
    levels to go up.  This always required scanning all the way back
    to the beginning of the buffer, even for a small function.  To
    speed up the operation, we changed Emacs to assume that any
    opening delimiter at the left margin is the start of a defun.
    This heuristic is nearly always right, and avoids the need to scan
    back to the beginning of the buffer.  However, it mandates
    following the convention described above.

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

In success there's a tendency to keep on doing what you were doing.
                -- Alan Kay

Delta Force ASO CDMA IRA chameleon man satellite imagery Roswell SAFE
underground FIPS140 digicash Janet Reno UOP smuggle Rubin