overriding car/cdr (was: Worrying development)

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: overriding car/cdr (was: Worrying development)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:42:39 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm, my immediate reaction is that car/cdr are too low-level for
> making them overrideable, but map and for-each and other operations
> that work on whole sequences look like good targets...

Going that route, there will always be one more function that someone
wants to be converted.  Third-party libraries also often won't be able
to handle generated lists without modification.  OTOH, by modifying
SCM_CAR/SCM_CDR, everything that handles lists automatically becomes
able to handle generated lists, and the cost for normal lists is only
the same cost as when compiling with -DSCM_DEBUG_PAIR_ACCESSES=1.

paul