Re: Introduction of fractions exposes uniform vector prototype bug

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: Introduction of fractions exposes uniform vector prototype bug
Date: 20 Dec 2003 11:52:40 -0600

address@hidden writes:

> Hmmm. You have a point there...
>
> But sometime you'll have to tell them that Santa ain't really ;-/
> (it's quite a surprising thing to carry forever: 1/3 behaves here
> as an inexact, whereas 1/6 doesn't).
>
> I'd propose making it a deprecated feature, to let it fade off
> slowly. Opinions?

It *is* a little too idiosyncratic for a good clean language.

> Someone (was it Mikael?) expressed dislike for this prototype
> business. I too think it sticks out a bit. Maybe real names
> for number classes would be better.

I have three proposals:

1. Type names as symbols, based on the type predicates minus '?'
2. The type predicates (subrs, not symbols) themselves.
3. GOOPS classes (I know all the basic types have them, don't try to
   hide it :)

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

Proof techniques #2: Proof by Oddity.
        SAMPLE: To prove that horses have an infinite number of legs.
(1) Horses have an even number of legs.
(2) They have two legs in back and fore legs in front.
(3) This makes a total of six legs, which certainly is an odd number of
    legs for a horse.
(4) But the only number that is both odd and even is infinity.
(5) Therefore, horses must have an infinite number of legs.

Topics is be covered in future issues include proof by:
        Intimidation
        Gesticulation (handwaving)
        "Try it; it works"
        Constipation (I was just sitting there and ...)
        Blatant assertion
        Changing all the 2's to _n's
        Mutual consent
        Lack of a counterexample, and
        "It stands to reason"

AK-47 FTS2000 Leuken-Baden Serbian BRLO JFK hackers $400 million in
gold bullion bemd illuminati pink noise Becker Honduras MIT-LL ASO