Re: Strange code in modules.c

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Strange code in modules.c
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:36:02 +0100

Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:

You'd better check that this is no longer the case, and that *all*
bindings use variables.  (That is of course the proper way.)

We should also be aware that the change you suggest introduces a kind
of backward incompatibility with regards to the module system.  I
doubt that many people have relied much on the module system API, though...
Thanks for your comment. As far as I see it, the function scm_sym2var would throw an error if it ever encountered some non-variable object in an obarray (obtained from scm_eval_closure_lookup, which obtains it from module_variable, which is the function under discussion). Therefore I consider it safe to assume that Guile has for some time only supported obarrays holding variables.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann