Re: What is Guile?

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: What is Guile?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:20:31 -0400

Jeff Read wrote:

Converting language X to Scheme, and then interpreting the Scheme is an interesting academic idea but if technology doesn't work for people then it doesn't work. Guile isn't the fastest Scheme interpreter in the world, and adding another layer of parsing and conversion will simply make things slower. If given the choice between a slow, subtly incompatible Perl substitute and Perl, most developers will simply embed Perl. Same goes for Python, or whatever other language you can think of. There's also the taste aversion to Scheme to overcome. GIMP appears to be migrating from Scheme to Perl as its embedded language of choice. Alternatively they will target JVM or MSIL bytecode.

Yes indeed.  I think that's why most of the ficus so far has been on
improving the Guile interpreter and moving to a compiler or other
speedups, like Gnu Lightning.

That's how free software authors standardized on the creeping horror
that is Autoconf (which I'm writing a replacement for (in Guile!)).
:)

Hooray!

-Dale

--