Re: How do I determine the argument type...

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How do I determine the argument type...
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:07:19 -0700

Marius Vollmer wrote:
> > > Ahh, I see.  Yes, it was not a good thing to change gh_new2str that
> > > way.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  Changing this back is just
> > > as bad as the original change from int to size_t.
> >
> > The manual still says "int".

> > Maybe call it a bug fix and put it back to that.
>
> Hmm, no, I prefer changing the docs.  "size_t" is the right type, and
> not many people seem to be affected by the int -> size_t change, so we
> chould leave it at size_t.

"int" is fine for the purpose since there is little need to cope with
multi-gigabyte strings.  OTOH, you have two libraries in the field.
Right now, clients writing to the 1.4 interface that use the length
argument to gh_new2str are hosed on I32LP64 platforms.

If you were to change it back, clients writing to the current interface
using that argument would be hosed on I32LP64 platforms.
Re-doc it and leave it be (says the guy who was first to cry "ouch"
from stubbing his toe on this.)