Re: [dev-serveez] Re: memory management

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Re: memory management
Date: 23 Mar 2003 00:53:57 +0100

stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> I would need to call libguile.dll:libc:free.  I would need to know to
> which libc libguile.dll was linked.

I see.

> BTW:  The standard libc for MinGW is 'msvcrt.dll'.  You get into trouble
>       when you want to use another (native) compiler, like BorlandC or
>       VisualC.
>
> So what would be the correct solution without scm_free()?

I can't say.  However, I really don't want to change the Guile API
because of (what appears to me as) an obscure fringe problem.

This does not mean that we wont cater to MinGW, patches to make Guile
run on any platform are highly welcome.  But I say it is wrong to
change the public API of Guile because of the weird possibility of
having two libcs in one address space.  The 'free' issue can only be
the tip of the iceberg: other libc or POSIX things such as stdio,
signals will probably cause problems as well, and the only real
solution that I can think of is: there shall be only one libc.