Re: Release now?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Release now?
Date: 25 Feb 2003 14:20:26 +0100

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> When Rob has added the GMP support there's only the signal handling
> left of the major changes intended for the 1.8 release, right?

There is also the issue of having good replacements for all of gh_.

Also, the deprecation mechanism should be made more user-oriented and
be controlled with a macro like _GNU_SOURCE.

Also also, I promised rms to keep backwards compatability for a long
time (and I do agree that it is important).  That means that the
things that are deprecated in 1.6 and have already been removed from
1.8 need to be added back.  I understand that this is an unwelcome
mass of uninteresting work and I'm willing to do it myself, of course,
eventually... :-/

> I think it would be a good idea to aim for release of 1.8 after these
> two components have been added.  This since people have asked for
> shorter intervals between releases.
>
> What do you say?

We should first complete the points mentioned for 1.8 in tasks/TODO.