Re: memoization and error messages

From: tomas
Subject: Re: memoization and error messages
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 13:57:45 +0100

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:43:15AM +0100, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> since yesterday I have made some progress with the memoizer, I just feel
> like showing you :-)))  I will show you some transcripts of how my
> modified version of guile works, with some explanations.  The focus of
> this mail is on error messages for syntax errors.  Part of this mail is
> for showing you things that already work (and how they work), some parts
> indicate open points.  In general, the handling of syntax errors is not
> perfect yet, but its a start.
>

> 1) Syntactic keywords are no longer accepted as expressions.  Formerly,
> guile would have accepted the following:
>   guile> define
>   #<macro 4020ada0>
> But now, the correct position of syntactic keywords is checked by the
> memoizer:
>   guile> define
>   ERROR: In procedure memoization:
>   ERROR: Misplaced syntactic keyword define.
>   ABORT: (syntax-error)

Hrm. Here's the usual whiner. Feel free to ignore me if I get onto
your nerves [1] ;-)

That means that macros aren't anymore `first class objects'? What
consequences does this have for meta-programming?

------
[1] No, I do acknowledge that *you* are doing the work and I'm just
    sitting back and complaining. I wouldn't take any offense if
    you prefer to do more real work instead of taking the time to
    answer to my ramblings.

Thanks
-- tomas