Re: Recursive mutexes?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Recursive mutexes?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:42:17 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for a naive question but:

What Guile-using apps currently use threads?  Is it too late to just
rip them out?

     > IMO thread programming is hard.

IMO, you are right.

In my "dream scheme" system, I'm thinking they aren't worth the
effort.  They slow down access to the store and complicate
programming.  I don't even want to think about how to reconcile them
with continuations, dynamic-wind, or fluids.

I do want multiple interpreters (without a shared store) in separate
threads.  I do want low-level routines running in separate threads
(e.g., give a CPU to I/O or to reving cellular automata generations).
But I'm having trouble seeing Scheme semantics as other than "optimal
for SISD".

-t