Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: dynamic loading of native code modules]
Date: 24 Apr 2002 20:10:51 +0200

Bill Gribble <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 10:48, Rob Browning wrote:
>  > You mean -rpath?  That might be a possibility, though it's (at least
> > used to be) against Debian Policy -- there's usually a good reason,
> > but I'd have to go check to be sure what the rationale was, and of
> > course it might no longer apply...
>
> I think this is part of the whole "install tree != Real Install Tree"
> thing, isn't it?   i.e. doing 'make install' into a sandbox, then
> un-rooting and packaging up the resulting tree?   seems like -rpath into
> the final destination could cause some problems with that ...

About -rpath: se my other mail.

I think this is not really an issue, since you can ./configure with
--prefix=/real/install/prefix, meaning /real/install/prefix is
compiled into the library (via #define) and then do 'make install
prefix=/stage/dir' without problems, given that in the final
installation (using a .deb or .rpm, for instance) the thing is put
into /real/install/prefix.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |