cross-compiling to mingw/cygwin

From: stefan
Subject: cross-compiling to mingw/cygwin
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:52:09 +0100 (CET)

Dear list,

  recently I've seen some comments about problems with the windows
compatibility within guile.

 * HAVE_WINSOCK2_H
   This define is implicitely HAVE_WINSOCK2_H && defined(__MINGW32__)
   because the `configure' script does so.

 * cross-compiling does not work properly
   Personally I do use a i386-mingw32 toolchain on my linux box for
   cross-compiling guile CVS (1.7.0, did not try 1.5.4).  to achieve a
   complete build I need to issue the following commands.

   $ tar xvzf guile-1.7.0.tar.gz
   $ cd guile-1.7.0
   $ patch -p1 < ~/libltdl.diff
   $ i386-mingw32-configure --cache-file=guile.cache --prefix=/mingw
   $ HOST_CC=gcc make 2>&1 | tee make.txt

   Whereas the `libltdl.diff' is a patch to libtool's libltdl library
   which I already proposed at <address@hidden> but gets ignored somehow.
   The `guile.cache' contains a minimum set of variables you need to set
   for run-time tests (cross-compiling!).
   The `HOST_CC' variable is used by the `libtool' script in order to
   produce code for the build host (necessary for DLL production).
   Finally the `i386-mingw32-configure' script is a wrapper for configure
   which sets some variables for the i386-mingw32 toolchain and appends
   target, host and build arguments.
   Those I get guile and all its libraries (as DLLs) properly compiled.
   The build process finally fails when building documentaion...

   If anyone is interested in these files or more specific information,
   you are welcome to ask.

Cheers,
        address@hidden