Re: Elisp development news

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Elisp development news
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:58:07 +0100

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, and my impression is that RMS is more interested in converting to
> Guile than Gerd was.  But I haven't brought up the issue recently.

This makes sense, because Gerd assumed the position because he had
been writing so much display code.  Emacs 19: X Windows, Emacs 20:
MULE, Emacs 21: New Display -- now all we have to do is lobby for
"Emacs 22: Guile!"  :)

> BTW, did anyone read Michael Sperber's paper in the recent ACM ... um,
> I think it was ICFP proceedings?  (Don't have it with me and I'm not
> familiar with the conference.)  It's on converting from Emacs Lisp to
> Scheme, and trying to generate readable, maintainable Scheme in the
> process.  Specifically, figuring out when dynamic bindings can be
> replaced with lexical bindings.  Looks like a big win to me, though it
> probably requires more extensive analysis than we'd want to do at load
> time for every elisp package...

Just to show you that RMS is in fact interested, he just posted this
to emacs-devel yesterday.  Obviously we should keep them more
informed of what works, what is being planned, etc.

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Subject: address@hidden: New paper on Emacs Lisp]
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:46:28 -0700 (MST)
>
> This paper might be very useful for making Emacs use Guile.
> I have not seen the paper itself.
>
> From: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <address@hidden>
> Subject: New paper on Emacs Lisp
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:17:00 -0700 (MST)
>
> In case you haven't seen it already, you might be interested in this
> report of work on automated translation of Emacs Lisp to Scheme
> (guile):
>
> @Article{Neubauer:2001:ELD,
>   author =       "Matthias Neubauer and Michael Sperber",
>   title =        "Down with {Emacs Lisp}: Dynamic Scope Analysis",
>   journal =      j-SIGPLAN,
>   volume =       "36",
>   number =       "10",
>   pages =        "38--49",
>   month =        oct,
>   year =         "2001",
>   bibdate =      "Fri Nov 23 18:54:42 2001",
>   bibsource =    "http://cristal.inria.fr/ICFP2001/program.html";,
>   URL =          "http://cristal.inria.fr/ICFP2001/Abstracts/50.html";,
>   acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,
>   annote =       "International Conference on Functional Programming
>                  (ICFP01), Firenze, Italy, 3--5 September 2001.",
> }

Most of us have seen this paper back when the ICFP was.  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love.