Re: Handling BUGS.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Handling BUGS.
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:36:03 -0800

   From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:35:17 -0600

   When BUGS are fixed, should they just be removed from the file, or
   should the "fixed" field be set for a while and then the bugs cleaned
   up later?  If the latter, then we might want to move all the fixed
   bugs to the end of the file, or another file -- otherwise it'll be
   hard to focus on what still needs fixing.

we should not remove bugs from public view since that invites someone
else to report them later and we loop unnecessarily.  (people will do
the former anyway, but it's easier to research and deflect the redundant
report, not to mention raise awareness of development protocol, when
there is a full history available.)

the BUGS file has a regular format so that we can easily write tools.
for example you could try:

        grep -B2 -e "^fixed: not-yet" BUGS

this assumes some sane version of grep, like GNU grep.

personally, for browsing (in emacs), i narrow to page, then move between
pages w/ `forward-page-ignore-narrow' and opposite direction variant
(see below).  i'll probably whip up a cron job to do this kind of report
generation for hourly update on glug.org...

at some point, someone -- maybe even me -- will make the valid argument
that home-grown bug tracking is cute but not a wise investment overall,
since energy going into developing that system could probably be spent
learning about an existing system, w/ better pay-off for the programmer.
and then someone else will probably mention inertia, "light-weight" or
"low-overhead", etc (classic buy or build issue).

thi

(defun forward-page-ignore-narrow (&optional count)
  "Like `forward-page', except ignores page narrowing."
  (interactive "p")
  (if (not (narrowed-to-page-p))
      (forward-page count)
    (widen)
    (forward-page count)
    (narrow-to-page)))

(defun backward-page-ignore-narrow (&optional count)
  "Like `backward-page', except ignores page narrowing."
  (interactive "p")
  (if (not (narrowed-to-page-p))
      (backward-page (1+ count))
    (widen)