Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6
Date: 14 Oct 2001 22:36:35 +0100

    Marius> Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:
    >> 2. Many application developers will want not just to upgrade to
    >> guile-1.6 but *maintain backward compatibility* with older
    >> Guile releases.

    Marius> Doesn't the deprecation mechanism now in place help with
    Marius> this?  The way I imagined the switch to happen was that
    Marius> people that wanted to stay compatible with 1.4 would
    Marius> compile Guile with --enable-deprecated and _not_ switch to
    Marius> the new stuff of 1.6.

But in many cases people are not compiling Guile for themselves.  They
already have Guile with their distro, and want to compile a
Guile-using application.  The problem then is that the application
build should do whatever it needs to to cope with either 1.4 or 1.6 as
the already installed version of Guile.

So does this mean that distro builders should always build Guile with
--enable-deprecated?

If so, I wonder if the previous SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED system was
better than the SCM_ENABLE_DEPRECATED system that we have now, as it
makes sense to me that the default for all SCM_DEBUG_* things should
be undefined.

BTW, I just noticed that SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED is still used in
goops.h.  Is this intentional?

        Neil