Re: JACAL, scm

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:04:45 -0700

   From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 02:04:11 -0700 (PDT)

   Nothing that isn't also in SCM; that's been enough to make relevant
   measurements, confirming what is "easy" to predict.

   Programming experience [and other wisdom-enhancing activities]...
   Have I left something out?  I'm sure of it.

i would add: listening to people who have done these things (which is
what i'm trying to do here).  thanks for the pointers.

   I sometimes write tersely presuming that the engineers in the
   audience either share a common background in many of those areas, or
   are, more likely, proactively engaged in obtaining such a background.
   That presumption isn't always true -- too many of us have day jobs
   that don't encourage that, I suppose.

some engineers (myself included) appreciate efficiency in collaborative
context in addition to software artifact context, and make the trade-off
in favor of improving group dynamics (as opposed to bumming code) in the
belief that tight groups can make tight code.

personally, i learn from diversity more than individual application, so
this is actually my way of being proactive.  i find that the engineer in
me also likes concrete examples -- referential transparency is not so
useful.

   But more to the point: I withdraw all of my suggestions for Guile.
   The maintainers don't have time to consider them, no doubt because
   they are busy developing a novel theory of manners as applied to
   reasoned discourse.  :-).

luckily for everyone, there are the archives, where your suggestions
live.  this is great for us plodders.  if you can't wait, that's very
understandable.

thi