Re: ice-9/getopt-long.scm + 1.5.1 please? + time-based 1.5.x?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: ice-9/getopt-long.scm + 1.5.1 please? + time-based 1.5.x?
Date: 20 Aug 2001 18:08:15 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> i'd like to urge 1.5.1 release soon so that we can get feedback for
> a 1.5.2 and so on.  definitely, i will not be doing any more
> modifications in the immediate future.  fwiw, i'm in favor of many
> 1.5.x releases and a single 1.6.0 release as opposed to both 1.5.x
> and 1.6.x series.  the latter is confusing to me.

Well, the odd numbered releases aren't really for broad public
consumption.  They're supposed to be our development, unstable
releases.  The even numbered releases are the ones we'd like to see
show up everywhere, in distributions, etc., and the ones we'd like for
applications to be linked against.

Further point releases of a stable series, i.e. 1.6.1, 1.6.2,
etc. should be made whenever we encounter bugs in the stable release,
but, as with the Linux kernel, changing the middle number from odd to
even and placing the tarfiles on ftp.gnu.org is our indication to the
users that we think it's OK for them to start transitioning their code
and applications.

I hope that makes more sense...

--
Rob Browning