Re: Release process -- can I put tarfiles up for www/ftp access?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Release process -- can I put tarfiles up for www/ftp access?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:20:15 -0700

   From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
   Date: 16 Aug 2001 11:06:03 -0500

   The 1.5.1 release should happen in the next day or so, but it's not
   really supposed to be public, and so I'd really rather it wasn't used
   for anything other than testing.

hmmmmmmm!  quality testing correlates w/ publicness.  are you sure large
warnings (as has been suggested) won't be sufficient to let people know
about the impending guile-1.6?

   If there are no major problems found immediately, the plan is to
   release 1.6.0 after a couple of modifications to the README,
   GUILE-VERSION, etc.

   In other words, 1.6.0 is probably ready to go, and 1.5.1 will just be
   the double-check.  Unless something ugly happens, 1.6.0 should be
   released within a week.

maybe it's better to let 1.5.x steep for a bit...  a week isn't enough
time for would be testers to adapt to new interfaces, find out what's
broken, submit useful bug reports, and for us to fix the bugs.  the
point is, let the users be the judge of whether or not 1.6 is ready to
go...

thi