Re: Server side scripting

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: Server side scripting
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:53:38 -0400

Klaus Schilling wrote:

> Diedrich Vorberg writes:
>  > Hallo,
>  >
>  > I am starting out on the task of creating a apache-module a la PHP or
>  > eperl that will make it possible to use guile as a meta-language in
>  > HTML.
>  >
>  > I found the comment on the guile ideas page and a dead link:
>  >
>  >    ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tt/ttn/net.tar.gz
>  >
>  > and a one year old announcement that someone had writen a webserver in
>  > guile only.
>  >
>  > Is anyone working on this or something similar?
>
> At least d. smith is working on that.
> What was the mailing list for web-related lisp stuff again?
>
> Klaus schilling

Yeah, I have a mod_guile that has been more-or-less working since about
last December.  I've been laying low about it until I have some issues
resolved, like if I can GPL it or not.

It basically does a load of a .scm file for each request.  There is a
main script file that is loaded when apache starts, and child init/exit
scripts that run as apache forks off kids (and kills them).  Nothing
fancy.  You can read almost all of the apache data structures and write
to some of them.  For example, I am using guile-gd to generate .png
images on-the-fly from scheme, changing the Content-type header to
image/png, and writing the image to (current-output-port).

I also did a lame half-baked port of brl, using #> and <# instead of ]
and [.  It only talks to postgres using guile-pg (brl talks to any
database using jdbc).

forcer (Jorgen Schaefer ??) started working on a more ambitious project,
you would be able to configure anything in apache with Guile.  I'm going
for more of a mod_php than a mod_perl.

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith